Adele - Blue is the Warmest Color - Paper Thin

 August, 2022
Fandom: Blue is the Warmest Color
Song: Paper Thin by Astrid S

Program: VegasPro18
Coloring: Winter by SunnyVids
 
Description:
"I have infinite tenderness for you" 
Yes, tenderness is the word I would use to describe Adele in a nutshell, and it is Emma's (French-translated-into-English) word of choice as well. Adele is one of the most beautiful characters I have ever seen in media. She conveys such a vulnerable and painful lust it's almost hard to breathe when you watch her on screen. And I'm saying that as a heterosexual woman. 
 
I wrote more about my thoughts on this very special film here: 
 
I am on a roll!!!!..... Or was. I expect this to be my last video before I start a new full-time job and once again sacrifice the majority of my waking hours. I am proud of the fact that in the time between graduation from grad school and the start of my new life as a master's level professional, I made a total of four videos! Keeping in mind that, when I'm full-time busy, I'll be lucky to make four videos in an entire year. I do have some hope that, now that I have no homework, I might be able to do some editing on weekends.
 
The aesthetic for the video is meant to be as intimate and vulnerable as possible, showing the real depths of Adele's tenderness. "Paper Thin" has a translucence implication to it - that one is fragile and whose emotions are easily understood. I think that describes her character pretty well. 
 
The editing process for this video was simple. I chose this video at random, meaning I had a long list of possible videos to make and used a random number generator. I probably have had this idea on the list since I first saw the movie early during the pandemic. Crazily enough, I have only seen the movie that one time, but it sure made an impact. I've also watched several other fanvids of this film and my favorite is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXBxJHrdZ3s. That definitely biased me towards certain scenes that are favorites.

So, in the process of making this video, I really rewatched the whole film all over again (without French subtitles, might I add, so I had to infer the plot from memory). But I went through the entire film frame by frame to pull out all of my favorite shots of Adele and use that as a library through which to put this together. That's kind of the beauty of editing a video from such a small amount of eligible footage. If this were a 10-season TV show, on the other hand, that I had only seen once - I'd be wondering about all the possible moments I could have missed.

There are no voiceovers since this is a French-speaking film, and I didn't want to include voiceovers just to have to put English subtitles on it. It actually made it an interesting challenge to rely entirely on lyrics and image, which is a type of editing I used to really enjoy doing.

Overlays were majority based in blue colors to honor the title.

The coloring choice was fun. As I mentioned, blue is a very special color in this film (obviously due to the title), and I really wanted to emphasize blue while kind of-ish washing out the rest but still maintaining a colorfulness. One of these days I want to make a video of this film that's entirely black/white except for blue, which shows up in nearly every scene.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Evanna & Keo - DWTS Tribute - I Wanna Dance With Somebody

Remus Lupin - The Wolves

Freddie / Effy Kiss Scenes